Teen pregnancy is an important issue which needs to be addressed and dealt within a constructive manner. Consequences of teenage pregnancy include health risks for the mother and the unborn baby. Teenage mothers are more likely to suffer from health, social and emotional problems if they are not taken care of properly. They also face a lot of medical complications like premature labor and emotional distress.
Even though there are less cases of teen pregnancy in recent times, the US still ranks at the number one spot in teen pregnancy cases. Teen pregnancy was much higher in the 1980s because most of the young girls got married and had children before they turned 20. Most of the teen pregnancies happened in the 1980s were of married women, now the case is totally opposite where most of the teenage mothers are unwed and alone. A teenage girl can become pregnant due to a variety of reasons, which include long term dating relationships, casual dating and sometimes even rape.
Teenage pregnancy is a result of voluntary or involuntary sexual activity. Teenagers think that they can avoid pregnancy with birth control measures but the only way to stop teen pregnancy is refraining from all sexual activities, until you are mature enough to understand what's right and wrong. It's always recommended to gather as much information on sex education to know more on the consequences of teen pregnancy.
Emotional Effects of Teenage Pregnancy
- Most teenage mothers are unlikely to complete their high school diploma. Only 1.5% of the total teenage mothers complete their college degree, only if they have supportive family and friends.
- With so many issues related to teenage pregnancy, lots of teen mothers suffer from alcohol drinking, substance and physical abuse.
- There are many health and social consequences of teenage pregnancy, like teen mothers may face threats or fear by their parents reactions and feel ignored by their friends.
- Many feel low and rancorous watching their friends shop for prom dresses and go to parties while they have to go for doctor's appointments and shop for baby clothes.
- It's always been difficult for teenage mothers to let go of their carefree teenager life and take responsibility for a parental life.
- Teenage mothers often feel insecure and suicidal to the social stigma that is tagged to teenage pregnancy. Some of them also opt for abortion due to parental pressure.
Physical Effects of Teenage Pregnancy
- A baby born to a teenage mother is at a risk of suffering more health issues than a baby born to an older mom.
- Teenage mothers are more likely to get addicted to drinking, smoking and drugs due to the post pregnancy stress.
- Teen mothers also gain very less weight during pregnancy and are also at a higher risk for premature birth, which can also affect in low birth weight of the baby.
- Babies who are born with a low birth weight suffer from serious health problems like underdeveloped organs, infant mortality, stomach complications, loss of vision in one or both eyes, respiratory complications and other lung problems.
- Most babies of teenage moms are likely to die early than babies of women in their twenties and thirties.
Financial Effects of Teenage Pregnancy
- Teenage parents often face some huge economic hardships. Teen mothers are forced to give up education and drop out of school, less than 20% of teenage mothers earn a high school diploma.
- It's very difficult for a teenage mother and father to support themselves and their baby. As their education is cut short, it's very difficult for teenage parents to find a decent job.
- With education cut short, they are left with very little employment opportunities and they face a lot of hardship in building a secured future for themselves and their kid.
- Over 85% of teen parents rely on welfare for financial support at some point in their lives.
- With the little income of both parents, it's very difficult to provide the baby with the required nutrition and care.
Teenage Pregnancy Facts
- 80% of teenagers who become pregnant are unmarried.
- Nearly five in ten teenage girls say, their first intercourse experience was involuntary or unwanted.
- More than 80% of unmarried teenage mothers survive on welfare most of their lives.
- Daughters and sons of teen mothers have a greater chance of ending up in jail as compared to their peers.
There are many articles and guidelines written on avoiding pregnancy so that young women are fully aware of the situation and can thus avoid it if they aren't prepared for it. What follows next is a look at a few teenage pregnancy and teen abortions - statistics and facts.
I hope this article on consequences of teenage pregnancy, has broadened your vision and has made you aware of all the health, economic and social facts related to teen pregnancy. Parenting teenagers is a tough job especially to a teen mom, parents should deal with such situations with care and love to avoid further emotional damage to a teenage mother. I recommend, to all teens to refrain from any sexual activities unless you are old and mature enough to understand the responsibilities that come with it.