Stereotypes are as common as there are phrases in the English Language. Let us look at some of these stereotypes in the following article.
Stereotypes. What would we do without them? Stereotypes are not really taken in a positive light, that much we all know. Which is probably the right thing to do, really. Generalizing something is never good and that is what stereotypes threaten to do. There is the negative connotation to it – ‘The tried and tested’, ‘The hackneyed’, ‘The clichés’ et all. But they have come to be for one reason. They are based on something that is noticed in the first instance and then generalized to create a whole theory around it. The theory of course sticks because it is the simplest way to explain something. Barring the intellectuals, who are in the search of finding a better and more expensively worded explanation for every possible concept, the stereotypes list works at the grass root level (if you know what I mean). It focuses on the common man and tries to bring out those qualities in him that are ‘stereotypical’, ‘the protocol’.
How is that a correct attitude to things? It isn’t. And while intellectuals would probably look at this list as a degeneration of vocabulary or eloquence in speech in the English language; the truth is that stereotypes exist. No matter how cleverly worded, or left at their simplest best.
Drawing your attention to these, here are some of the most common stereotypes that there are in this world. These deal with people and cultures, with sexes and communities.
Disclaimer ~ The stereotypes listed below have not been formulated by the author. They have merely been taken from different sources and listed. Moreover, they are not meant to poke fun at any community, class or sex. That is not the intention of the author in any way.
These are some of the most common stereotypes that you will come across. It’s not easy to face stereotypes because they degrade and generalize, trapping you into a mold without giving you a chance to prove otherwise.
- It is a common belief in America that all other countries don’t really exist.
- I’m Brazilian, so I must have a big butt.
- I’m black so I must love fried chicken and kool-aid.
- I hang out with gays, so I must be gay too.
- I’m a Negro so I must carry a gun.
- I’m Christian so I must hate homosexuals.
- I’m German, so I must be a Nazi.
- I’m Asian so I must be a nerd who does homework 24/7.
- I’m religious, so I must shove my beliefs down your throat.
- I’m an atheist, so I must hate the world.
- I’m Colombian, so I must be a drug dealer.
- I’m into theater and art, so I must be a homosexual.
- I’m Muslim so I must be covered up at all times.
- I dress in unusual ways so I must be looking for attention.
- I’m Indian, so I must own a convenient store.
- I don’t have a religion, so I must be evil and have no morals.
- I’m Mexican, so I must have hopped the border.
- I’m rich, so I must be a conceited snob.
- I’m a guy, so I must only want to get into your pants.
- I’m native American, so I must dance around a fire screaming like a savage.
- I have a bunch of girls who are friends, so I must be gay.
- I’m Cuban, so I must spend my spare time rolling cigars.
- I’m young, so I must be naive.
- Nepal is the only country that isn’t circumcised.
- I’m Jamaican so I must smoke weed.
- I’m Asian so I must have a small penis.
- I’m Arab, so I must be a terrorist.
- I dye my hair crazy colors, so I must be looking for attention.
- I have straight A’s, so I must have no social life.
- All Italians are in the mob.
- All Irishmen do is drink and beat their wives.
- All black people are on welfare.
Stereotypes Used for Women
And then there are some lists of stereotypes that are as if especially created for women, with great care, and the intention to strike. Yeah, some of them will probably get your heart boiling, but just be the bigger person here. I mean, what do people know, right?
- I’m gorgeous, so I must not be a virgin.
- I’m blonde, so I must be a stupid ditz.
- I’m a lesbian, so I must have a sex-tape.
- I speak my mind, so I must be a bitch.
- I’m a girl who actually eats lunch, so I must be fat.
- I have a bunch of guy friends, so I must be doing them all.
- I wear skirts a lot, so I must be a slut.
- I’m a cheerleader, so I must be a whore.
- I fell in love with a married man, so I must be a home-wrecking whore.
- I’m a teenage mom, so I must be an irresponsible slut.
- I have big boobs, so I must be a hoe.
- I’m a virgin so I must be prude.
- I’m skinny, so I must be anorexic.
- All black women have three children by three different guys.
More than anything else, I hope you’ll have realized one thing after reading these stereotypes, and it goes something like this ‘I’m a person so I must be stereotyped’….and that’s really all that there is to it.