This article aims at explaining to you the importance of voting in a democracy. Read the following OpinionFront article to know more on this important topic.
Democracy is believed to be the best form of government in the world. There are many factors due to which we consider democracy effective for the progress of a nation. Apart from equal opportunities, irrespective of caste or religion and the basic rights, the fundamental right of voting is an advantage for people living in a democratic country. The reasons for the importance of voting are many.
The following section of this OpinionFront article will go into the details of the importance of voting in a democracy.
Why is Voting Important in a Democracy
- One should vote because one gets to participate in the functioning of the government. Voting can help us choose able leaders who have qualities in them which can be beneficial for the growth of the country. It is also a means of keeping anti social elements away from power and thus, protect the interests of the common people. The power of voting, which consists of individual opinion, can be very useful in getting things related to public welfare done perfectly.
- Another reason why voting is important is that it creates a sense of responsibility in the leaders and makes them realize that they have been chosen over some other candidate by the people for performing in a professional and dedicated manner. This itself will compel them to use the administrative power in a positive way for the benefit of the masses. Voting is perhaps the only way that allows people participation in the government processes.
- Voting has led to the fast progress and development of many nations. Countries where the right to vote does not exist, have found it hard to set themselves on the path of progress. Such countries may have to face widespread discontent among the people as a total lack of transparency and public faith in the policies and activities of the government. Lack of the fundamental right to vote is a big loss for any individual.
- Why is voting important in developing counties? This might be a question on the minds of many people. It is a known fact that developing countries have to face many problems in different walks of life. Unless people participate in the development process, the set targets and objectives cannot be attained. Voting can help people in developing countries prevent malpractices and corruption to a great extent, which are the main reasons for hampering the overall growth rate.
- The right to vote is present in many countries. However, the statistics of voting in many countries is quite poor, with people losing their faith over the entire election process. Will making the process of voting compulsory, help? Many people believe that this will certainly help in increasing the number of people who vote. However, voting should not be a burden for people. It is needed that they understand its importance and use their right with their own will. Fair and just voting practices are a must for the success of a democratic set up. It becomes the responsibility of the governments to make available the details and eligibility criteria for voting to the common people.