Are you curious to know which of your famous idols are vegetarians? Here is a list compiled by me that will help you to find out more…
It is commonly heard that being vegetarian is getting fashionable these days. People turn to a vegetarian lifestyle out of curiosity, for health benefits, on adoption of a new religious belief or out of mere compassion towards animals. However, historical facts show that being vegetarian or vegan has always been a mode of lifestyle for some communities around the world. Some well-known communities that have always followed vegetarian lifestyle hail from India. There have also been some inspiring and famous die-hard vegans all around the world who have always sworn by their natural green diet. Here is a compilation of names of world-famous people who prefer a green diet.
Some Famous Vegetarians
- Leonardo da Vinci: This world-famous artist from Italy was known for his vegetarian lifestyle. So profound was his love for animals that he would rescue animals from meat markets and let them free. He is famously supposed to have said “As long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other.”
- Paul McCartney: He is an ex-member of 1960s hit band Beatles. He turned vegetarian along with his wife Linda McCartney who was an animal rights activist. He propagates vegetarian lifestyle and supports charities that work for animal rights. He has previously confessed that he finds the aroma of bacon tempting but then he has vowed to stay vegetarian for the rest of his life.
He said in an interview, “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian!”
- Tiruvalluvar: He was a famous saint from southern part of India. He is famous for his quote which states, “How can one, who eats flesh of others to swell his flesh, show compassion?”
- Pamela Anderson: A popular Canadian actress and showgirl, Pamela Andersen promotes vegetarianism. She has been an advocate on animal rights and one of the foremost members of PETA. She is said to have turned a vegan ever since her teenage.
- Tobey Maguire: The spiderman of Hollywood is a staunch believer in a vegetarian lifestyle. He has altered his diet to a great extent and abstains from eggs and dairy products. He has even altered his lifestyle and made his home free from any leather products.
- Mike Tyson:A retired American boxer, Mike Tyson is the undisputed world champion in the heavyweight list. He won his first title at the age of 20 years and successfully defended the title nine times. The heavyweight start vouches for a completely vegan diet. He regrets that he was not a born vegan.
- Mahatma Gandhi:Best known as the father of India, Gandhi proposed vegetarianism as a means of renunciation that helps build self-control in one’s lifestyle. Mahatma Gandhi has popularly quoted that, “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured by the way in which its animals are treated”.
- Amitabh Bachchan: Known as the biggest Bollywood star, Amitabh Bachchan is known for his extraordinary screen persona. He has a popularity rating much higher than actors like Marlon Brando or Robert de Nero. This iconic actor supports PETA and rigorously promotes the ‘go green’ campaign. He himself has been a strict vegetarian for quite a substantial part of his life.
World Famous Vegetarian Actors
|Name of Actor||Country|
World Famous Vegetarian Athletes
|Name of Athlete||Sport||Country|
|Martina Navratilova||Tennis||Czech Republic|
Other Famous Personalities (Past and Present)
|Name of Personality||Profession|
|Leonardo da Vinci||Artist|
|Amos Bronson Alcott||Transcendentalist|
|14th Dalai Lama||Religious Leader|
|Adolf Hitler||Nazi Leader|
|Mahatma Gandhi||Indian Leader|
|George Bernard Shaw||Playwright|
|Sir Isaac Newton||Scientist|
|Benjamin Franklin||American Political Leader|
|Louisa May Alcott||Writer/Author|
|H G Wells||Writer/Author|
|Heather Mills||Social Activist|
|Mac Danzig||Martial Arts Fighter|
|Dr APJ Abdul Kalam||Scientist|
|Rabindranath Tagore||Poet and Painter|
|Chelsea Clinton||Bills Clinton’s daughter|
The lists given above may be long but they shall always be incomplete. So much has been said and done to propagate a vegan diet, that many famous personalities and commoners are turning towards vegetarian diet permanently. It helps make your life healthy and animal friendly. So what are you waiting for? This is the right time to start a vegetarian journey of life!